Give us a Call

+1 (877) 929-5321

A History of Our Faith-Based Mission

And so it all began…

1874

The Connecticut General Assembly grants a charter “To provide a home for aged and destitute Protestant women in New Haven giving special attention to such as are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.” Fundraising is initiated for a home.

 

1918

The Methodist Church Home opens in a house at 111 Elm Street in West Haven, CT.

The management of the home, known as the West Haven Home, is delegated to a Board of Directors composed of women from the 80 Methodist churches within central Connecticut.

A second house at 115 Elm Street is purchased and the two houses are connected by a newly-constructed dining room and an infirmary. The “Family” of residents then numbers fifteen women and five men.

Several miles across the state, The Methodist Home of Danbury, referred to as the Danbury Home, opens in a remodeled wooden house on Main Street. The Board of Managers draws members from every Methodist church in western Connecticut and nearby New York.

The West Haven Home opens the Blackeslee Memorial Dormitory, a brick structure adding rooms for twenty more residents.

The West Haven Home is “singled out for its exceptional lack of institutionalism” by the U.S. Commerce Department, and described in a U.S. Public Health Service report as one of the “homeyist homes” in the state.

 

1940

The Danbury Home builds a new dormitory known as the Martha Crossman Rhoades Memorial, increasing its capacity to 34 residents.

New state building codes require extensive changes to the West Haven and Danbury Homes.  Bishop Lloyd Wicke appoints a committee to oversee the building of a retirement community within the N.Y. Conference of the United Methodist Church.

 

1968

The Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center opens in Shelton, providing skilled nursing care for 90 residents.

The Danbury Home closes after 40 years and the remaining residents are transferred to Bishop Wicke. United Methodist Homes is established to plan and manage facilities on the Shelton campus.

 

1970

Wesley Heights opens with 90 cottages and 92 apartments for retirement living.

Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center opens a new pavilion funded by the West Haven Home, adding 30 beds.  The West Haven Home closes and all residents transfer to either Wesley Heights or Bishop Wicke.

Asbury Ridge, with 162 cottages for retirement living, opens adjacent to Wesley Heights.  Asbury Ridge is transferred to a private corporation in 1986 and renamed The Views of Long Hill.

 

1994

The Alzheimer’s unit opens at Bishop Wicke.

 

1995

The Council of Friends of United Methodist Homes is formed as a means for volunteers and churches to enhance the quality of life for residents Wesley Village and other UMH facilities, continuing a tradition of support begun by the United Methodist auxiliaries of the Danbury and West Haven Homes.

United Methodist Homes launches a capital campaign for an assisted living residence.

 

1996

The Fanny Crosby Memorial Home in Bridgeport gives funds to United Methodist Homes to help build Crosby Commons, an assisted living residence.

 

1998

United Methodist Homes approves a strategic plan for growth and a statement of Vision, Mission and Values that underscores our foundation of spirituality.

The Shelton campus is named Wesley Village.

Middlewoods of Farmington, an assisted living residence with 74 apartments and affiliated with the University of Connecticut Health Center, opens in Farmington, Connecticut.

Crosby Commons, an assisted living residence with 67 apartments, opens at Wesley Village. Crosby Commons is named for poet and Methodist hymn writer Fanny Crosby.

United Methodist Homes website goes online.

 

2003

Middlewoods of Newington, an assisted living residence with 54 apartments is acquired in Newington, CT

UMH combines its values and operating philosophy with the Planetree patient-centered approached to create and pilot the Planetree Continuing Care model on the Wesley Village campus.

 

2005

Foxbridge, a unique assisted living and memory care community in Memphis, TN is acquired.  The campus features five cottage-style buildings; each dedicated to a different level of care.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now

Close