Middlewoods of Farmington is a small and home-like assisted and independent living community affiliated with the University of Connecticut Health Center in Farmington, Connecticut. Featuring multiple living options, the community is specially designed to promote our relationship-centered approach to caring.
Each resident is known for who they are and what is important to them. Our staff take the time to build relationships so we can provide a living environment that encourages meaningful engagement and opportunities to thrive. Our affiliation with UCONN allows us to provide the highest level of care and service to our residents.
Middlewoods of Farmington offers:
- Studio, One and Two Bedroom Apartments
- On-site Geriatric Physician and Psychiatrist Services
- Health and Wellness focus to help residents receive services to age in place in their apartment
- Relationship-Centered Philosophy
- Owned and managed by United Methodist Homes, a local, not-for-profit organization
- Long history of award-winning care, staff and innovation on a national and state-wide level
- Meaningful activities and socialization to encourage residents to be engaged in Middlewoods of Farmington activities as well as those in the surrounding towns of Avon, Bristol, Canton, Hartford, New Britain, Simsbury, Unionville and West Hartford
- Activity programs seven-days-a-week; throughout the day and into the evening
- Emphasis on resident volunteerism, within Middlewoods of Farmington and the community at large
- Country Kitchen where residents cook and bake their special recipes to share
- Cats, dogs, birds and fish allowed (pending assessment for community living)
Service and Amenities
Located at the cross-section of the Farmington Valley and Hartford County, minutes from Interstate 84 and Route 9, Middlewoods of Farmington is conveniently located near Avon, Bristol, Canton, Hartford, New Britain, Simsbury, Unionville and West Hartford. Adjacent to the new medical corridor on Route 4, Middlewoods of Farmington has top-notch hospitals such as the UCONN Health Center, Bristol Hospital, Hartford Hospital, the Hospital of Central Connecticut, and St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center nearby.
Our proximity to local churches such as St. Patrick and St. Mary Catholic Churches in Farmington, St. James Episcopal Church in West Hartford, Memorial United Methodist Church and St. Matthews Lutheran Church in Avon and many others allows residents to remain connected. As you educate yourself about assisted and independent living options, keep in mind some of what sets Middlewoods of Farmington apart from the rest….
The monthly rental includes the following services:
- Three delicious meals per day served in our lovely Dining Room
- Full range of meaningful activities including exercise classes, computer lessons, book club, bridge, painting classes, gardening, current events, music, volunteer opportunities and so much more
- Chauffeured transportation to medical appointments, local stores, restaurants, concerts, churches, and the local YMCA
- All utilities and wireless Internet (excluding phone and cable TV)
- Personalized weekly housekeeping and laundry and linen services
- Maintenance, landscaping, and snow removal
- Front desk staffing/concierge services
- Membership at the local YMCA (which offers a beautiful warm water pool and sauna)
- Health and Wellness Services
- 24-hour certified nursing care staff on-site
- Three checks a day to make sure you’re okay!
A Community Reaching Out To Help Others
So often people say they don’t have the time to volunteer. Older age offers the perfect opportunity to give of yourself to help others. Numerous studies have shown that active and engaged older people remain in better physical and mental health and are less prone to depression because of the sense of accomplishment they gain from helping others. With this in mind, the residents at Middlewoods of Farmington must be in great health!
It all began on a blustery November day, several years ago, a group of residents at Middlewoods of Farmington gathered together to assemble Thanksgiving Baskets for local families in need. Community staff was planning to coordinate and lead this effort. As sometimes happens during the course of a busy day, staff were a few minutes delayed getting to the activity and when they arrived they discovered that the residents had organized the food, created an assembly line and had already packaged up several baskets. Thus the resident-led Community Outreach at Middlewoods of Farmington began!
Our Caring Staff
All the residents and staff at Middlewoods of Farmington epitomize our Mission; to provide services that support health, independence, and dignity through a relationship-centered philosophy which best sustains body, mind, and spirit. Each and every day our staff care from their hearts about our residents, not because it is their job, but because it is their calling in life
Our nursing team works regularly with residents and the geriatric staff from UCONN Health Center who staff our on-site clinic, to emphasize the importance of wellness and disease prevention. Additionally, there is the regular crowd for exercise class each day; the core group that participates in reading and discussion groups; the many who love the entertainment, baking, games and whatever else there is that our residents would like to try! We work to meet the varied spiritual needs of our residents in creative and fulfilling ways.
If they are looking to swim or relax in a hot tub, the regularly scheduled trip to the YMCA is the thing to do. For those looking to see the latest movie release, a trip to the movie theater is in order. Regular lunch trips to local and not so local establishments are something many look forward to. And with the warm weather come trips to and picnics at the beach. Being a community where our residents like to give back, many of them lead regular activities and feel so fulfilled giving of themselves.
Building relationships is so important at Middlewoods of Farmington that it is not unusual, and in fact is expected, that you will see residents sitting together and with staff enjoying a cup of coffee.
Our spacious apartments and finely decorated gathering areas feel just like the rooms in your home, providing the perfect environment for reading the daily news, chatting with friends, or hosting a small family gathering....and most importantly, deepening friendships.
Family and friends feel welcome here and residents enjoy ample opportunities to get to know one another, whether it be through a volunteer project or a conversation by the fireplace.
- Perfect size! With 70 apartments in our small community, residents have the opportunity to get to know their neighbors without feeling overwhelmed by a large number of people
- New resident orientation process helps residents get to know others who share common interests and history
- Open-concept floor plan provides many spaces for residents to gather in small and large groups
For most of us, mealtimes are the most important part of the day. Middlewoods of Farmington residents are no exception! Residents are served three meals each day in the Dining Room and snacks are available throughout the day in our Country Kitchen for those looking for a little extra treat.
Many of our staff have been serving our residents for over ten years, taking great pride in the preparation and presentation of each meal. They continue to impress us even after many years in our kitchen!
Our Country Kitchen is equipped with all the appliances you need, as well as a stocked pantry and refrigerator for those looking to cook and bake, either with a group or on their own.
- Heart healthy and low sodium options at each and every meal
- A rich menu of alternate entrees is always available
- Resident Food Committee meets quarterly with the Chef to sample new items and discuss upcoming menu offerings
- All menus are reviewed by our Registered Dietician
- Special event and theme dinners are planned throughout the year
- Dining hours customized to meet our residents’ preferences
- All meals are made to order and served restaurant-style
- Gourmet coffee available around the clock
- Cooking and food demonstrations to educate and entertain
- All meals are served by our friendly and caring dining staff
The extraordinary lifestyle and environment at Middlewoods of Farmington provides residents with lots of opportunities to get involved in activities, make new friends, and get involved in the community at large. Our dedicated activity staff and volunteers plan all activities to meet resident’s interests, while looking for ways to help those in need.
- Activities, outings and events designed to meet residents’ interests and requests
- A full activity calendar including regular volunteer opportunities
- Trips to the nearby Wadsworth Athenaeum, New Britain Museum of Art, Elizabeth Park, Bushnell Theater for the Performing Arts, and Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Resort Casinos are just some of the places we visit
- Annual traditions such as our days at the beach at Hammonasset State Park, fishing along the Farmington River and tailgating at the New Britain Rock Cat Stadium are just a few of the events our residents look forward to each year
- Exercise and fitness classes
- On-site Beauty Salon and Barber Shop
- Religious programs to meet residents’ spiritual needs
- Live entertainment!
- Arts & crafts
- Pool games and tournaments
- Musical recitals, student performances, concerts, resident bell choir and glee club
- Wii games and tournaments and computer lessons
- Scheduled transportation to doctor appointments, shopping, errands and off-site programs
Journey of Dreams
Dreams Can Come True!
At UMH, we understand that no matter what your age, you still have dreams; Places you want to go, things you want to do, milestones to achieve. Big or small, the staff at our communities wants to help. The award-winning “Journey of Dreams” program was created on our Wesley Village Campus to offer opportunities for personal growth and fulfillment of individual dreams. Residents are encouraged to submit up to three wishes, goals or desires that they would like to come true. A committee meets to review the wishes and devise a plan to assist in the fulfillment of those wishes.