Middlewoods of Newington is a unique and vibrant assisted and independent living community in Connecticut affiliated with the University of Connecticut Health Center. Featuring multiple living options, this community is specially designed to promote our relationship-centered approach to caring for seniors.
Each resident is known for who they are and what is important to them. Our staff take the time to build relationships so we can provide a living environment that encourages meaningful engagement and opportunities to thrive. Our affiliation with UCONN allows us to provide the highest level of care and service to our residents.
Middlewoods of Newington Offers:
- On-site Geriatric Physician and Psychiatrist Services
- Relationship-Centered Philosophy
- Owned and managed by United Methodist Homes, a local, not-for-profit organization
- Long-standing history of prestigious state award recognition for quality, and innovative care and staff
- One-floor living with 60 apartments and a short walk to anywhere
- Meaningful activities and socialization to encourage residents to be engaged in Middlewoods of Newington activities as well as those in the surrounding towns of Berlin, Kensington, Hartford, New Britain, Rocky Hill, West Hartford and Wethersfield
- Activity programs seven-days-a-week; throughout the day and into the evening
- Cats, dogs, birds and fish allowed (pending assessment for community living)
Services and Amenities
Located in the cross-section of Hartford and Middlesex Counties, Middlewoods of Newington is conveniently located near Berlin, Kensington, Hartford, New Britain, Rocky Hill, West Hartford and Wethersfield. Our proximity to St. Mary’s Church, Holy Spirit Church, Grace Episcopal Church, Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, and many other churches allows residents to remain connected. Middlewoods of Newington also has top-notch hospitals such as Hartford Hospital, the Hospital of Central Connecticut, St. Francis Hospital and Medical Center and the UCONN Health Center nearby.
The monthly rental includes the following services:
- Three delicious meals per day served in our lovely Dining Room
- Full range of meaningful activities including exercise classes, computer lessons, book club, bridge, painting classes, gardening, current events, music, volunteer opportunities and so much more, including membership to the YMCA
- Chauffeured transportation to medical appointments, local stores, restaurants, concerts, and churches
- All utilities, including expanded cable, local phone, and up to $10 of long distance calls
- Personalized weekly housekeeping and laundry and linen services
- Maintenance, landscaping, and snow removal
- Front desk staffing/concierge services
- Health and Wellness Services
- 24-hour certified nursing care staff on-site
- Three checks a day to make sure you’re okay!
The life and care at Middlewoods of Newington is tailored to meet each resident’s specific needs. We are able to do this because of our mission to provide relationship-centered care which inspires our staff take the time to get to know our residents and learn how to meet their individual needs. Our goal is to help our residents maintain a healthy lifestyle and encourage socialization with peers and relationships with our staff. Residents, their family and our nursing staff work together to create personalized assisted living care packages to meet their changing needs.
Assisted Living Services include but are not limited to:
- Escorts to and from meals and activities
- Assistance with personal hygiene and dressing
- Medication management
- Companion services
Personalized Private Duty Care
At Middlewoods of Newington, we understand that there are times that our residents need short-term or even longer-term one-on-one care to help them recover from illness or to continue to age in place in their home. Private duty aide care, provided by our trained staff is available covering 2-12 hour shifts; providing up to 24-hours if needed.
The Little Community That Could
You might think that an assisted living community with only sixty residents wouldn’t have that much excitement. If you are thinking of Middlewoods of Newington, you would be wrong! The one-story community with 60 apartments uses its size to its advantage. Residents are able to foster meaningful relationships with other residents and the staff. Not only does everyone know each other’s names, they know who your family is and what is new and exciting in each other’s lives.
Our Caring Staff
Middlewoods of Newington epitomizes our Mission; to provide services that support health, independence, and dignity through a relationship-centered philosophy which best sustains body, mind, and spirit.
Each and every day our staff care from their hearts about our residents, not because it is their job, but because it is their calling in life. When Marjorie, our housekeeper lovingly cleans an apartment like she does for each resident every week, it is with a smile on her face and a song filling the room (Watch Marjorie here - VIDEO).
Middlewoods of Newington has been specially designed to provide environments that encourage conversation and friendships. Gathering spaces, just like you would find in your own home create an ambiance and atmosphere that promotes camaraderie. The Country Kitchen, with its farmhouse table brings back memories of enjoying a cup of tea with family. Our double-sided fireplace is reminiscent of times spent in front of a roaring fire.
For most of us, mealtimes are the most important part of the day. Middlewoods of Newington residents are no exception! Residents are served three meals each day in the Dining Room and snacks are available throughout the day for those looking for a little extra treat.
Our Country Kitchen is fully equipped with state of the art appliances and a stocked pantry and refrigerator for those looking to cook and bake, either with a group or on their own.
- Heart healthy and low sodium items are available at each and every meal
- A rich menu of alternate entrees is always available
- Our chef’s philosophy is “If we have it in the kitchen, we will be happy to prepare it!”
- Resident Food Committee meets monthly with the Chef to sample new items and discuss upcoming menu offerings
- All menus are reviewed by our Registered Dietician
- Special event and theme dinners are planned throughout the year
- Dining hours customized to meet our residents’ preferences
- Breakfast made to order, hot and cold selections
- Cooking and food demonstrations to educate and entertain
- All meals are served by our friendly and caring dining staff
Our programs are designed to provide our residents many opportunities to get involved in activities, make new friends and try something new! Our dedicated activity staff and volunteers plan all activities to meet resident’s interests.
- Activities, outings and events designed to meet residents’ interests and requests
- A full activity calendar including volunteer opportunities
- Trips to the nearby Wadsworth Athenaeum, New Britain Museum of Art, Elizabeth Park, Bushnell Theater for the Performing Arts, and Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Resort Casinos are just some of the places we visit
- Annual traditions such as days at the beach at Hammonasset State Park, fishing along the Farmington River and tailgating at the New Britain Rock Cat Stadium are just a few of the events our residents look forward to each year
- Exercise and fitness classes… our new fitness and therapy center offers plenty of opportunities for planning for preventative and restorative healthy living
- On-site Beauty Salon and Barber Shop
- Religious programs to meet residents’ spiritual needs
- Live entertainment!
- Arts & crafts
- Pool games and tournaments held in our new “Man Cave”
- Impromptu piano recitals and other musical performances
- Wii games and iPad lessons
- Bell Choir
- Scheduled transportation to doctor appointments, shopping, errands and off-site programs
Dreams Can Come True!
At UMH, we understand that no matter what your age, you still have dreams; Places you want to go, things you want to do, milestones to achieve. Big or small, the staff at our communities wants to help. The award-winning “Journey of Dreams” program was created on our Wesley Village Campus to offer opportunities for personal growth and fulfillment of individual dreams. Residents are encouraged to submit up to three wishes, goals or desires that they would like to come true. A committee meets to review the wishes and devise a plan to assist in the fulfillment of those wishes.