Crosby Commons is a small and home-like senior living community with 68 apartments located on the Wesley Village campus in Shelton, CT with a long history of award-winning care and services. Our community provides residents with an on-site Wellness & Fitness Center, geriatric medical services and countless opportunities for social and recreational activities. We are proud to provide a nurturing, relationship-centered environment where seniors can live life to the fullest.
Crosby Commons Offers:
- On-site Geriatric, Psychiatric and Naturopathic Services
- Relationship-Centered Philosophy
- Not-for-profit senior living community owned and managed by United Methodist Homes
- Award-winning community with a long standing history of prestigious state award recognition for quality, and innovative care and staff (Resident Orientation Program, Journey of Dreams)
- Perfect size! With 68 apartments in our small community, residents have the opportunity to get to know their neighbors without feeling overwhelmed by a large number of people.
- A variety of private apartment options and sizes with individual climate control
- State of the art 24-hour emergency call system
- Nursing staff available 7 days a week
- 40-acre campus with walking paths, gazebo, covered porches and a pond
- Short-Term Rehabilitation and Long Term Skilled Nursing Home on campus
- Opportunities for volunteerism within Crosby Commons and the community at large
- Country Kitchen where residents cook and bake their special recipes to share
- Cats, dogs, birds and fish allowed (pending assessment for community living)
- Activities programs seven days a week; throughout the day and into the evening; meaningful programs and socialization encourage residents to be engaged in activities here at Crosby Commons as well as those in the surrounding towns of Stratford, Trumbull, Milford, Oxford, and Fairfield
- Coordinator of Spiritual Care available to assist with spiritual needs.
- FINANCIAL SAFETY NET to help plan for your financial future
Services and Amenities
Located in the cross-section of Fairfield and New Haven Counties, Crosby Commons is conveniently located near Stratford, Trumbull, Milford, Oxford, Fairfield, Derby, Ansonia, Easton, and Seymour. Our proximity to First United Methodist Church of Shelton, St. Margaret Mary’s Church, and many other churches allows residents to remain connected. Crosby Commons also has top-notch hospitals such as Bridgeport Hospital, Griffin Hospital, St.Vincent’s Medical Center, and Yale-New Haven Hospital nearby.
The monthly rental includes the following services:
- Three delicious meals per day served restaurant-style in our fireside Dining Room
- Snacks and beverages always available in our Café
- Personalized weekly housekeeping and laundry services
- Emergency call-for-aid system in each apartment
- Three checks a day to make sure you’re okay
- Utilities including heat, electric and wireless internet
- Meaningful activities including computer lessons, bridge, painting classes, drama club, gardening, current events, guest speakers, musical entertainment and so much more
- Wellness Center with heated therapy pool, personal trainer and wellness classes
- Library with daily newspapers, magazines, sizable selection of large print books and wireless internet
- Comfortable lounges, covered porches, outside patio, and walking paths
What Makes Us Different?
In some regards, many independent and assisted living communities are alike. They all have pretty wallpaper, carpet and furnishings and all offer similar amenities. What truly set communities like Crosby Commons apart from others is the people, that community of people who live and work within the walls of Crosby Commons. All members of the community are special people; those called to the caregiving and hospitality field as their career, the many residents who choose to call Crosby Commons home, and the volunteers who give of themselves and their talents to make life even better for our residents. Because the members of our community care so deeply, it is just natural for them to go above and beyond what is expected of them!
One day just before Christmas, the Crosby Commons maintenance technician overheard some residents reminiscing about the electric trains they use to have circling their Christmas trees. When he asked if they would enjoy having a train here, they responded with a resounding “yes!” assuming he would put a train around the Christmas tree in the Crosby Commons living room. Being like so many of the Crosby Commons’ staff members who are always going the extra mile, he did much more! After a full day’s work he returned in the evening, on his own time, and built an overhead shelf that encircled the entire lobby and living room area. Before long he was laying down track, and by Christmas, the Crosby Commons Express was rolling along. The residents were so thrilled with their overhead train that after Christmas they insisted we keep the train up. Now when a resident has a birthday, part of the celebration is having their name prominently displayed on the train wishing them a “Happy Birthday”. On move-in day new residents enjoy seeing their name on the train welcoming them to their new home. Talk about feeling special!
It’s Never Too Late to Enjoy Living Life to the Fullest!
When a new resident seemed a little blue one day, our Activities Director took some time to chat with her. In the course of the conversation the resident spoke about her lifelong interest in the theater. She used to write, act, and direct plays for her church and local community theater.
She was smiling and very animated when she told her story. Then she stopped smiling when she said “I guess that is all behind me now”. Our Activities Director responded in her usual positive manner with “It doesn’t have to be over, we’ll start a Drama Club here”. Our resident was thrilled and the Crosby Common Players were born and continue to perform to this day.
Our Caring Staff
Crosby Commons staff members are always going above and beyond in their attempt to have residents truly enjoy this chapter in life. They understand and more importantly, live out our Mission; to provide services that support health, independence, and dignity through a relationship-centered philosophy which best sustains body, mind, and spirit. Each and every day our staff care from their hearts about our residents, not because it is their job, but because it is their calling in life.
When housekeepers Terry and Lisa clean apartments they do so with smiles on their faces and loving attention to every detail. When Lucy and Hazel fold laundry each night, they are meticulous so the people they care for and about will have wrinkle-free clothes and can always look their best. As our waitstaff serve homemade meals three times each day to our residents, they do so while engaging our residents in conversation and noticing any changes in their regular patterns or routines.
Our Certified Nursing Assistants help residents with their personal care and take the time to talk with them about life and family, likes and dislikes in order to provide personalized and dignified care. Our nurses view life from a wellness perspective and work with residents to promote good health. Personal trainer, Dianne, encourages residents to attend balance and strength classes at our Wellness Center, making sure they have a few laughs along the way. And let's not forget the activities department! There is a regular crowd each week for discussions groups, painting class, games, Drama Club, and crafts with a local Girl Scout troop. Musicians, vocalists, actors and magicians provide on-site entertainment. Cocktail parties and trips out to local restaurants and theater are resident favorites. Cathy, our Coordinator of Spiritual Care works to meet the varied spiritual needs of our residents in creative and fulfilling ways. Who could ask for anything else?
Crosby Commons is a warm, welcoming community that is uniquely designed for cultivating friendships. With gathering spaces in the center of the community and at the end of each hallway, there are countless opportunities for conversation and connection. Instead of feeling like a stranger in a big hotel, our residents can feel at home in our perfectly sized community while enjoying an ambiance and atmosphere that promotes camaraderie.
Our Café provides a casual spot to enjoy a cup of tea with a friend or neighbor, while our Wellness Center brings residents together for fun exercise classes where they encourage one another to stay well and fit. Our lounge areas are busy with residents playing Scrabble or Pinochle and laughing at the competition that goes on. And with our many covered porches, it is not uncommon to see residents enjoying the company of friends, as well as the view of Long Island Sound from our location on Long Hill Avenue.
For most of us, mealtimes are the most important part of the day. Crosby Commons residents are no exception! Residents are served three meals each day in the Dining Room and snacks are available throughout the day for those looking for a little extra treat.
International menus, special community buffets, and socials of all kinds provide opportunities to try new foods, enjoy favorite foods as a source of comfort, and gather with family and friends around the table.
- Heart healthy and low sodium options are available at each and every meal
- A rich menu of alternate entrees is always available
- All menus are reviewed by our Registered Dietician
- Special event and theme dinners are planned throughout the year
- Dining hours customized to meet our residents’ preferences
- Breakfast made to order, hot and cold selections
- Cooking and food demonstrations to educate and entertain
- All meals are served by our friendly and caring dining staff
The activities program at Crosby Commons brings residents together throughout the community. Our programs are designed to provide our residents many opportunities to get involved in activities, make new friends and try something new!
With so many opportunities for volunteerism within the community and the Wesley Village Campus, it should not come as a surprise that several of our activities, are, in fact, led by Crosby Commons’ residents!
These residents partner with our dedicated activity staff and volunteers to plan activities that not only meet residents’ interests, but allow them to find purpose and meaning in life. We encourage our residents to think about their life aspirations and dreams through our Journey of Dreams program and then take the time to listen and make those dreams come true.
- Activities, outings and events designed to meet residents’ interests and requests
- A full activity calendar including volunteer opportunities
- Trips to the nearby Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, the Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, Gusto Italian Restaurant in Milford, Knapp's Landing in Stratford, Jones Family Farm, Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Resort Casinos, Boothe Memorial Park, Christmas Tree Shops, Schubert Theater, the Yale Center for British Art, and Hammonassett Beach State Park are just some of the places we visit
- Annual traditions such as our Grandparent’s Day Celebration and Picnic in September, and Festival of Trees and Craft Fair in November are all hosted by Crosby Commons and events our residents look forward to each year!
- Exercise and fitness classes… our state-of-the-art Wellness Center is equipped with fitness equipment specially designed for seniors, including stationary bicycles, recumbent cross-training machines, and a heated therapy pool
- Religious programs to meet residents’ spiritual needs
- Live entertainment!
- Arts & crafts
- Opportunities for intergenerational relationships through partnerships with local schools, church and civic groups, and other youth programs
- Wii games and computer lessons
- Scheduled transportation to doctor appointments, shopping, errands and off-site programs
- Pets are welcome to visit and reside in the community (pending approval)
Journey of Dreams
Dreams Can Come True!
At UMH, we understand that no matter what your age, you still have dreams; Places you want to go, things you want to do, milestones to achieve. Big or small, the staff at our communities wants to help. The award-winning “Journey of Dreams” program was created on our Wesley Village Campus to offer opportunities for personal growth and fulfillment of individual dreams. Residents are encouraged to submit up to three wishes, goals or desires that they would like to come true. A committee meets to review the wishes and devise a plan to assist in the fulfillment of those wishes.