A Legacy of Caring
Award-Winning Senior Living That Feels Like Home
Here at Crosby Commons, independent living is carefree living. Your days are truly yours to enjoy; no laundry, cooking, cleaning or yard work! We believe your retirement should be enjoyable, so we make every effort to ensure your days are filled with the activities that bring you joy.
Our assisted living program is designed to adjust to your needs as they change. Allowing you to customize your care, with the support and assistance needed to help you maintain a level of comfort and independence suitable to your unique situation.
About Crosby Commons
Crosby Commons, located on the Wesley Village campus in Shelton, CT is a charming, home-like senior living community with 68 apartments and a long history of award-winning care and services. Our community provides residents with an on-site Wellness Center, access to geriatric medical services, and countless opportunities for social and recreational activities. We are proud to provide a nurturing, relationship-centered environment where seniors can live life to the fullest.
Crosby Commons offers:
- Beautifully appointed Studio and One Bedroom Apartments with updated kitchens and bathrooms
- Newly renovated Dining Room and Café with "to-go" items for an active lifestyle
- Newly renovated Wellness Center offering a variety of fitness classes, personal training, and exercise equipment.
- On-site physical and occupational therapy in our Wellness Center
- Access to geriatric physician services and Behavioral Health Services provided by Harvest Healthcare
- Crosby Spa for beauty salon and barber services including manicures, pedicures, and massage
- A 40-acre campus with walking paths, gazebo, covered porches, and a well-stocked pond
- Relationship-Centered Philosophy and a team dedicated to that mission
- A long history of award-winning care, staff, and innovation
- A full life enrichment program designed to meet residents' interests
- State-of-the-art 24-hour emergency call system
- Nursing staff on-site seven-days-a-week
- A full continuum of care available on campus including, Memory Support, Short-Term Rehabilitation and Long Term Skilled Nursing
- On-site Chaplain is available to assist with resident's spiritual needs
- Opportunities for volunteerism within Crosby Commons and the Shelton community at large
- Most pets welcome (pending assessment for community living)
For most of us, mealtimes are the most important part of the day. Our residents and dining team feel the same! We serve three chef-prepared meals each day in our elegant Dining Room and casual Café. To-go items and other treats are always available in the Café. Residents and their guests also have the option of outdoor dining and use of the Private Dining Room.
The award-winning culinary team at Crosby Commons takes great pride in the preparation and presentation of every meal. Highlights include:
- Meals made to order and served restaurant-style
- A rich menu of alternate entrees
- A Resident Food Committee that meets regularly with the Chef to sample new dishes and discuss upcoming menus
- Registered Dietician who reviews and approves all menus
- Special occasions and themed meals throughout the year
Our Caring Team
We believe everyone is a caregiver. The team at Crosby Commons continuously goes above and beyond expectations helping residents find the most meaning in this chapter of their life. They understand and more importantly, live out our Mission; to provide services that support health, independence, and dignity through a relationship-centered philosophy that best sustains body, mind, and spirit.
Our Registered Nurses and Certified Nursing Assistants view life from a wellness perspective and work with residents on health and wellness promotion and disease prevention. Staff in our Wellness Center encourage residents to attend balance, stretching, and strength training classes; helping to promote physical and mental fitness. Additional classes such as Yoga, Tai Chi, Barre, and Zumba are also available.
Our housekeeping team is meticulous in all that they do, from cleaning to laundry, nothing is overlooked. And our culinary staff, while serving our residents daily, do so in an engaging manner, noticing any changes in regular patterns or routines.
Our extraordinary lifestyle and environment provide residents with lots of opportunities to engage in meaningful and enriching programs and trips, make new friends, and get involved in the community.
- Outings and events designed around their interests
- A full calendar of programs including intellectually stimulating classes and discussion groups, live entertainment, brain fitness activities and a variety of volunteer opportunities on campus and in the local community
- Trips to the nearby attractions including but not limited to the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, Beardsley Zoo in Bridgeport, local restaurants, Jones Family Farm, Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods Resort Casinos, Boothe Memorial Park, Schubert Theater, Yale Center for British Art, Hammonasset Beach State Park and NYC (and its boroughs)
- Spiritual and religious programs including non-denominational services, hymn sings, Catholic rosary and mass, and our annual Blessing of the Hands
- Intergenerational partnerships with local schools, churches, civic groups, and other youth programs
- Arts & crafts, pool games, and tournaments
- Computer lessons, video games, and tournaments
- Scheduled transportation to doctor appointments, shopping, errands, and off-site programs
Crosby Commons is a warm, welcoming community that is uniquely designed for cultivating friendships. With gathering spaces throughout the community, there are countless opportunities for conversation and connection. Our size and home-like atmosphere help to foster an environment of closeness and camaraderie. Residents start the week with a Monday Morning Town Hall Meeting to gather and share information, a regular event that helps set the tone of communication and friendship.
Family and friends feel welcome here and residents enjoy ample opportunities to get to know one another, whether over a cup of tea in our Café, through volunteer projects such as our Prayer Shawl Ministry and Kindness Club or a conversation in one of our many living rooms or lounges. It is not uncommon to see residents enjoying the company of friends, as well as the view of Long Island Sound or our beautifully landscaped campus from our location on Long Hill Avenue.
Come join us for an upcoming event at Crosby Commons
Happily Ever Aging
Everything you need to know about caring for your loved one.
by Elizabeth Bemis
Guidance for Male Caregivers of Spouses Living with Alzheimer’s
Women are disproportionately affected by Alzheimer’s disease, as nearly two-thirds of Americans with Alzheimer's are female. And although the majority of caregivers for this population is made up of...
by Marissa Salvesen
Research Findings that Underscore the Benefits of Senior Living
The possibility of moving out of one’s home is not always a welcome idea for seniors, but planning for the future or considering the best alternatives for current day-to-day challenges is incredibly...