+1 (877) 929-5321

Schedule a Tour

Senior Living Blog

Happily Ever Aging
...a UMH Senior Living Blog

Everything you need to know about caring for your loved one - at home or at a senior living community.

Blog Feature

60-day stay trial  |  Aging & Caregiving  |  affording senior living  |  assisted living  |  assisted living ct  |  financial options for senior living  |  independent living ct  |  senior living costs  |  united methodist homes

How to Afford Senior Living When the Money Runs Out

Running out of money is a real possibility for some who have made senior living communities their home. The money runs out for a number of reasons and common among them are: longevity (the average length of stay in assisted living is 2.5 years but many live there significantly longer) increasing rental costs, increasing costs in senior health care services and a need for more assistance with activities of daily living (ADL) than before. There are others, but these situations just mentioned place an immediate draw on private funds.

Read More

Blog Feature

60-day stay trial  |  Aging & Caregiving  |  assisted living  |  assisted living communities  |  caregiver information  |  senior living communities

When is the “Right” Time to Move your Loved One into Assisted Living

It might be nearing the “right” time to move a parent into an assisted living community when health and safety needs are putting your loved one at risk in their home. If this is your concern then it’s time to have a talk with your loved one. Often there are telltale signs of something “not right” in the home that you can address quickly before things spiral out of control.

Read More
Your Guide to Senior Care Options

Not sure what senior living and care solution is best for your loved one? Start making sense of your options.

Get the award-winning guide and subscribe to our blog.

Blog Feature

60-day stay trial  |  Aging & Caregiving  |  active seniors  |  assisted living  |  assisted living community  |  senior living community  |  united methodist homes assisted living

Why Consider a 60-Day Trial Stay?

It is important that you feel at home in your new senior living home. But how do you know if you're actually going to be comfortable and happy in this new space? Whether it be our Middlewoods Assisted and Independent Living Community in Farmington or Newington, we have your comfort in mind. We invite you to try out maintenance-free living with our unique 60-day trial stay....with no long term commitment!

Read More

Blog Feature

60-day stay trial  |  Aging & Caregiving  |  assisted living  |  caregiver tips

How to Discuss Changing Care Needs With Your Aging Loved One

Loss of independence is a very real threat to your aging loved one. Unfortunately, as seniors age, their ability to manage previously simple everyday duties may diminish or disappear completely. "I don't need help!" What do you do when your aging loved one refuses to accept that his/her care needs are changing? These tips can help you maintain clear, open and productive lines of communication.

Read More

Blog Feature

"When It Comes To Dying"

“When it comes to dying, I’m an amateur. I haven’t done it - I think when I come to it, I will still be an amateur, somewhere between frightened and terrified.” (Sam Keen, Graceful Passages)

Read More

Blog Feature

10 Tips for Helping Your Aging Loved One Manage Diabetes

More than 29 million Americans are currently living with diabetes, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Read More

Blog Feature

5 Ways Occupational Therapy Can Help Your Aging Loved One

Occupational therapists offer valuable treatment for increasing independence and productivity, whether an older adult is affected by illness, experiencing memory loss, or has sustained an injury.

Read More

Blog Feature

Meeting A Care Receiver On His Own Turf

After knocking on his door and asking permission to come in, I introduced myself to a new resident at Bishop Wicke Health and Rehabilitation Center, where I serve as the Director of Spiritual Life.

Read More

Blog Feature

Humor and Your Aging Loved One

Charles Dickens wrote, “There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humor.”

Read More

Blog Feature

60-day stay trial  |  Aging & Caregiving  |  aging parents  |  assisted living  |  caregiver tips

Losing Patience : 5 Tips for Caregivers

“What do you miss the most about being in your home of so many years?” That’s a question I often ask our newer residents when checking in on their adjustment to living in one of our communities at United Methodist Homes. Invariably the answer goes something like this: “I miss getting up, going downstairs, fixing a cup of coffee, enjoying it for awhile, having breakfast, and then going upstairs to wash and dress for the day.” Or, “I miss the daily routines, walking downtown, seeing neighbors, chatting, walking home with some little thing I might want or need during the remaining day.” Along with those comments comes a host of other things of that nature!

Read More

Blog Feature

60-day stay trial  |  Aging & Caregiving  |  Health Tips for Senior Citizens  |  assisted living

4 Key Pneumonia Prevention Tips for Seniors

Seniors are particularly vulnerable to complications from pneumonia. In fact, according to the CDC, pneumonia -- along with influenza -- is one of the leading causes of death for people aged 65 and older. Don’t miss these four pneumonia prevention tips designed to help keep seniors safe from this life-threatening illness.

Read More